Music: perceptions & productions
Act 1: Music, Processing and Perception
– “Physical description of musical sound” by Jean-Louis Migeot, professor at the Ecole polytechnique de Bruxelles (ULB) and the Conservatoire de Liège
– “Two tools for processing sound waves: the Ear and the Machine” by Antoine Nonclerq, lecturer at the Ecole polytechnique and Federico Lucchetti, doctoral student at the Université Libre de Bruxelles.
– Musical interlude (LIVE)
– “From perception to thrills: how do we process music?” by Régine Kolinsky, Director of Research at the FRS-FNRS and Director of the Cognitive Neuroscience Research Unit (UNESCOG) at the ULB, and Manon Couvignou, holder of a Master’s degree in Cognitive Sciences from the École Normale Supérieure de Paris.
Act 2 : The Physics of Acoustic Music
– “Notions d’acoustique instrumentale: les instruments à vents” by Jean-Louis Migeot (presented above).
– “Musical interlude (LIVE)
Act 3: Introduction to Modular Analog Synthesis
François Gaspard, an engineer by training, is also a multi-instrumentalist musician, electronic music producer and sound engineer. After having collaborated on numerous musical projects for nearly two decades, he has now launched the creation and marketing of synthesis modules under the name Shakmat Modular. François will present the principles of analogue synthesis, explain how his modules work and do a 50 min set.